Fura de Nono (African Ginger & Millet Cereal)
- 100 g millet
- 200 ml boiling water
- 0.25 tsp grated ginger
- 0.25 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 100 ml natural yoghurt
- Place the 100g millet in a large bowl, and then add 200ml of boiling water to the millet. Add the ginger and cinnamon spices to the liquid, then cover and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Decant the liquid and its contents into a blender and blend on high speed for a few minutes until the millet is pureed into a watery smoothie-like consistency.
- Transfer to a saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut and simmer on medium heat while stirring consistently to avoid lumps, until the watery liquid congeals to the consistency of raw pastry which is ready for kneading.
- Using your fingers, shape the millet paste into balls, then dip the balls in the raw cane sugar and set aside. 100g millet should make approximately 9 millet balls.
- To serve, to 3 millet balls, add 100ml of natural yoghurt. Mix well, and top with any fruits and/or nuts of your choice.
If consuming later, roll the millet paste into balls, and refrigerate. Do not dip in sugar until ready to consume.